Insert packaged piping into seams and edges for a tailored finish. Cover cord with fabric for specialty piping.
To stitch piping into a seam:
- Snap on the Piping Foot.
- Place piping along the seam line on right side of fabric. Place second piece of fabric on top with right sides together.
- Put fabric and piping layers under Piping Foot with the piping in the groove on the under- side of the foot. Sew with a straight stitch, length 2.5. The groove on the underside of the foot will guide the piping as you sew.
To make piping from your fabric:
- Cut bias or crosswise grain strips, wide enough to cover the cording plus seam allowances.
- Lay the cording on the wrong side of the fabric strip and wrap the fabric over the cord.
- Place the fabric and cord under the Piping Foot with the cord in the groove on the under- side of the foot.
- Stitch. The groove will guide the cord so the fabric covers evenly.
TIP: When you sew this piping into a garment, adjust the needle position so it stitches one
setting closer to the cord to cover the first stitching.